Textile Arts Hosts an In Depth Session into Nurturing Your Natural Dye Practice
March 14 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
On Saturday, March 14th from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, please join us in welcoming Textile Arts Los Angeles and artist and natural dye explorer Trudy Barnes for an in depth session on natural dyeing: Nurturing Your Natural Dye Practice: Spring Color.
Celebrate the season of renewal as we explore the hidden color in our landscape by learning about local plants and their potential for dyeing. We will discuss using native and invasive plant species, how to source dyestuffs responsibly, using mordants to fix color, as well as how to broaden your color palette using modifiers. Participants will come away with samples of color on various textiles and instructions on how to repeat the process at home.
• Learn how to forage and source dyestuffs ethically.
• Understand the science behind mordants and color modifiers.
• Discuss best practices to increase color and light fastness.
• Learn how to achieve multiple colors with one dye pot.
• Bring your own textiles to dye if time allows. Small pieces of lightweight, natural fibers only. Further instructions on how to prepare your fabric will be sent out before class.
• Explore how to integrate natural dyeing into your art practice, personal wardrobe or commercial clothing line.
• Work with locally and ethically sourced dyestuffs and textiles.
• Connect with others who share your interest in textiles and natural dyeing in our open studio atmosphere.
Materials fee to be paid to the instructor the day of class. (We are working on sourcing local finished textiles – in keeping with the Fibershed ethos. We’ll add the price as soon as we get more details. It will be more than $25 and less than $50!)
Save the Date (Upcoming Sessions)
May 16: Eco Printing: Creating Pattern and Playing with Color
August 15: Shibori: Bind, Stitch and Fold
October 10 or 17 (tbd): Nourishing Your Natural Dye Practice: Fall Color